I'd like to share how I envision our home network would be and how close we are to completing.
Basically, my goal here to remove as much wires as possible to be able to make the devices portable and easy to set up (wireless). I want that the devices can be able to connect anywhere in the house. Of course there are connections where in you can't remove the physical wires,for now (such as hdmi pc-hdtv, dvi pc-monitor, outside phone line to filter, dsl modem cat5 cable to wireless router etc).
Looking closely on the diagram , you will see the following devices:
1. Data/Voice filter - this is the one that filters the voice line and dsl line from the single telephone line
2. phone line splitter - used to connected several phones such as corded and cordless phones
4. Cordless phone
5. Wireless router - heart of my network
6. CPU with Bluetooth / wlan
7. Wireless keyboard and mouse
8. LCD monitor
10. Surround sound speakers
12. Laptop - none yet (no plan on buying soon)
13. Gaming system - none yet (plans on buying one depending on budget)
As you can see from the list and the diagram. I'm almost complete with my design. The only thing that is missing is the laptop/tablet and gaming system (you can also from the list why we don't have one yet).
There are still improvements
I'm looking into some possible ways (wireless speaker adapter kit, wireless display from intel etc) in order to connect the surround sound speakers wirelessly, as well as the monitor and HDTV. I've found a device that can be used but they're too expensive right now and are using the 2.4ghz band (same frequency our cordless phone, keyboard, and microwave are using). Also , there are issues when it comes to syncing of voice and visual information(speakers and display) when data is transferred wirelessly. until this things are ironed out already, i guess we'd be sticking to wired connection for the speakers and displays for now.